Saturday, September 22, 2012

September 22nd, 2012


Something sparked a sweet memory in my mind a few days ago that keeps reoccurring in my thoughts. The memory took me back to a cold evening in January, 2011, when a group of amazing sisters in Christ piled into a quaint little chapel at the McGraw Hospice Center to pray for my husband and our family. It was truly a night that was full of love, fellowship, prayer and worship. It will forever be etched in my heart as I was so humbled by all that took place that evening.

 I cannot help but to think about that night and not be flooded with feelings of immense joy and peace. I began to remember that irrefutable feeling of peace that seemed to surround me during the most difficult time in my life, a peace that truly transcended all of my understanding. This is the peace I have come to pray for daily as I find my way on this journey of rebuilding my life.

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Jesus Christ." Philippians 4:7

As I continued to reflect on that evening and all that my Heavenly Father had blessed me with, the one thing that was so unforgettable to me was how the body of Christ came together and fearlessly prayed. There is something so powerful when a group of believers join hands and begin to pray without hesitation, boldly approaching His throne of grace with everything they have and not being afraid to lay it all at the feet of Jesus...and leave it there!

Let us approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16

Prayer helps us to release control over a situation, acknowledge God's sovereign strength over it, trust that He will take care of us, and it brings us peace. One of the lessons that Ruth Bell Graham taught was "Worship and worry cannot exist at the same time in the same heart. The are mutually exclusive." That is a lesson that I often have to be reminded of.

Prayer is not all about asking God for something, but also thanking Him for everything He has so graciously given to us. Giving thanks frees us from our worries and brings about that glorious peace that blankets us.

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His court with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the Lord is good;His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endure to all generations. Psalm 100:4-5

I want to share something that I recently read from a devotional called, "Good Morning, Lord": 

"Concerned about one of her children, Ruth was unable to sleep one night. Realizing the missing ingredient in her heart was thanksgiving, she began to thank God for this son, for his life, for the joy he had brought to their family. Her burden quickly was lifted and she was able to finally rest." Her prayers of thanksgiving brought her peace.

Reading that made me think of the many times I pray and only focus on the problem. I realized that I too, at times, have been missing that special ingredient of just thanking God for His mercy and truth in my life along with ALL other things I have to be so thankful for.

 It's really quite simple: prayers of thanksgiving equate to a peaceful heart!

What a blessing to be able to recall such precious memories of that night. I can close my eyes and go right back to that wonderful little chapel, see all those beautiful faces, listen to each prayer that was sweetly spoken. I can hear the music playing faintly in the background, proudly standing hand in hand with these amazing women knowing just for that moment I was experiencing a little taste of Heaven. Oh the peace that floods my soul!
A nugget of encouragement from Jesus: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let them be afraid. John 14:27 

May you all come to know His peace. 

Blessings,

Tammy



2 comments:

  1. I will never forget that night either. It was the sweetest time. You really can have joy and peace in all circumstances, amen?

    I love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Having you speak that evening made it even more special for me! And as you and I have both learned yes you CAN...in ALL circumstances! I love you too my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete